Centro Histórico Machico

Forte de Nossa Senhora do Amparo

CHM | Centro Histórico de Machico | Visit Machico
PT

O Forte de Nossa Senhora do Amparo localizado no Largo Dr. José António d’Almeida / Rua do Mercado / Alameda dos Plátanos, é um edifício Isolado dentro da tipologia da Arquitetura Militar. Está classificado como Imóvel de Interesse Público (Dec.30/762 de 26/9/40).

Erigido em 1706, a expensas do Capitão Francisco Dias Franco, escrivão da Câmara de Machico, tal como se pode ler na placa comemorativa existente na entrada do forte, encimada pelas armas nacionais, tudo em cantaria regional.

Arquitetonicamente, trata-se de um edifício de planta triangular, do tipo “reduto de duas fases”, com a terceira virada para a terra, onde se abre a entrada em túnel, com escadaria em cantaria que dá acesso à esplanada.

Apresenta fachadas rematadas por merlões com cordão saliente em cantaria insular; fachada virada a terra com um portal em cantaria rija de arco de volta perfeita, encimado por frontão ondulado barroco.

A esplanada do forte é parcialmente ajardinada e calcetada com calhau rolado e decorado com bocas-de-fogo de ferro. Estas bocas de ferro são provenientes de navios que passaram pela ilha e dada a sua grande utilização, deixaram de ter uso.

Já teve várias utilizações, Posto da Guarda Fiscal, Posto de Turismo, Gabinete da Cultura do Município de Machico. Atualmente alberga o Gabinete Europeu da Madeira e a Sede da Assembleia Municipal de Machico.

Fonte: Baseada na informação disponível no inventário do Património Imóvel do Concelho de Machico, Sousa, Èlvio (Coord.), CMM/ARCHAIS(2005)
EN

The Forte de Nossa Senhora do Amparo located on Largo Dr. José António d’Almeida / Rua do Mercado / Alameda dos Plátanos, it´s an isolated building of Military architecture. It’s Property of Public Interest (Dec.30/762 de 26/9/40).

It was erected in 1706 by Captain Francisco Dias Franco, registrar of the City Council of Machico, according to the commemorative plaque.

Architecturally, it is a Building with a triangular floor plan, of “two-phased redoubt” type, with a third facing the ground, where a tunnel entrance opens, with a staircase in stonework that gives access to the terrace.

The façades are topped by merlons with prominent strings in insular masonry; the façade faces the ground with a portal in a rigid stonework with a perfect back arch, topped by baroque pediment. In this pediment is inscribed a commemorative tombstone of the foundation of the fort surmounted by the national arms, all in regional stonework.

The esplanade of the fort is partially landscaped and paved with rolled pebble and decorated with iron cannons. This iron cannons come from ships that passed through the island and given their great use, they have no use.

Already had several uses, Post of the Fiscal Guard, Tourist Office, Office of Culture of the Municipality of Machico. It currently houses the Madeira European Office and the Machico Municipal Assembly Headquarters.

PT

O Forte de Nossa Senhora do Amparo localizado no Largo Dr. José António d’Almeida / Rua do Mercado / Alameda dos Plátanos, é um edifício Isolado dentro da tipologia da Arquitetura Militar. Está classificado como Imóvel de Interesse Público (Dec.30/762 de 26/9/40).

Erigido em 1706, a expensas do Capitão Francisco Dias Franco, escrivão da Câmara de Machico, tal como se pode ler na placa comemorativa existente na entrada do forte, encimada pelas armas nacionais, tudo em cantaria regional.

Arquitetonicamente, trata-se de um edifício de planta triangular, do tipo “reduto de duas fases”, com a terceira virada para a terra, onde se abre a entrada em túnel, com escadaria em cantaria que dá acesso à esplanada.

Apresenta fachadas rematadas por merlões com cordão saliente em cantaria insular; fachada virada a terra com um portal em cantaria rija de arco de volta perfeita, encimado por frontão ondulado barroco.

A esplanada do forte é parcialmente ajardinada e calcetada com calhau rolado e decorado com bocas-de-fogo de ferro. Estas bocas de ferro são provenientes de navios que passaram pela ilha e dada a sua grande utilização, deixaram de ter uso.

Já teve várias utilizações, Posto da Guarda Fiscal, Posto de Turismo, Gabinete da Cultura do Município de Machico. Atualmente alberga o Gabinete Europeu da Madeira e a Sede da Assembleia Municipal de Machico.

EN

The Forte de Nossa Senhora do Amparo located on Largo Dr. José António d’Almeida / Rua do Mercado / Alameda dos Plátanos, it´s an isolated building of Military architecture. It’s Property of Public Interest (Dec.30/762 de 26/9/40).

It was erected in 1706 by Captain Francisco Dias Franco, registrar of the City Council of Machico, according to the commemorative plaque.

Architecturally, it is a Building with a triangular floor plan, of “two-phased redoubt” type, with a third facing the ground, where a tunnel entrance opens, with a staircase in stonework that gives access to the terrace.

The façades are topped by merlons with prominent strings in insular masonry; the façade faces the ground with a portal in a rigid stonework with a perfect back arch, topped by baroque pediment. In this pediment is inscribed a commemorative tombstone of the foundation of the fort surmounted by the national arms, all in regional stonework.

The esplanade of the fort is partially landscaped and paved with rolled pebble and decorated with iron cannons. This iron cannons come from ships that passed through the island and given their great use, they have no use.

Already had several uses, Post of the Fiscal Guard, Tourist Office, Office of Culture of the Municipality of Machico. It currently houses the Madeira European Office and the Machico Municipal Assembly Headquarters.